10 Fascinating Facts about the Gut

I find the body endlessly fascinating and love learning and reading about how incredible the human body is. The book ‘Gut’ by Giulia Enders is one of the many I’ve read and it’s always stuck with me because it is such an informative and funny book, the illustrations are amazing and the whole book makes a complex topic really easy to understand.

I’m sharing 10 facts from the book which I did not know before reading, I hope you find them as interesting as I did!

  1. We have 2 anal sphincters – 1 internal which works involuntary, 1 external of which we have voluntary control.
  2. Saliva is basically filtered blood – salivary glands sieve blood keeping back red blood cells. Calcium, hormones and some other products of our immune system enter the saliva.
  3. Anything absorbed in the final part of the large intestine does not go to the liver for detoxifying because not much is absorbed at this point. This does mean suppositories are able to contain less medication and take effect quicker.
  4. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance produced by the human body.
  5. Unborn babies swallow up to half a litre of amniotic fluid a day.
  6. P6 acupuncture point stimulation can help reduce nausea – this point is 2-3 finger breadths below the wrist between the two tendons.
  7. Of our entire microbiome, 99% of microbes are found in the gut.
  8. When we’re born 100% of our cells are human; this reduces to 10% with the other 90% being microbes.
  9. Female threadworms lay their eggs around the outside of the anus when we’re asleep because we are relaxed and unconscious so we scratch and, inevitably, they end up in our mouths making their way through our digestive system in time for the eggs to hatch.
  10. Most probiotics are currently isolated species of bacteria grown in labs that disappear from the gut when we stop taking them.

It’s a great read and I highly recommend it. If you want to buy it the book is a great one to pass on to a friend after or even better if you can access a copy at your local library and save resources and accumulating stuff!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: