I love bowl dishes where you can just shove a load of different ingredients in a bowl, mix it all up and just dig in.
This is one I go to frequently, particularly if I cook too many beans or too much rice – it’s a great way to use those bits up. You can customise this with whatever extra bits and pieces you have: jalapenos, salsa, sour cream, avocado. The beans and mushrooms give this dish such flavour.
Everything can be prepped ahead of time and if you fancy you can make 2 or 3 times the amount listed and you have meals for the week!
- 110g brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ red onion (thinly diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 250g mushrooms (chopped)
- 250g black beans (1 can, rinsed and drained)
- 1tsp hot chili powder
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Spinach (a couple of large handfuls)
- Red pepper (roughly chopped)
- Sweetcorn (a couple of large handfuls)
- Suggested extras:
- Avocado, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, cheese (vegan cheese recipe)
- Time: 30mins
- Serves 2
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the rice as per package instructions (usually approx. 25 mins).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add the red onion. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Then add the tomato puree and stir to coat the onion and garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their juices and shrunk down (about 5 minutes).
- Add the black beans and spices and stir. Turn the heat down to low and leave to heat and soften the beans while the rice finishes.
- Chop the red pepper.
- Once the rice is done, you’re ready to serve.
- Assemble your bowl – add a huge handful of spinach, half the rice, half the black bean mix, half the read pepper and a large handful of sweetcorn.
- Add any other topping your heart desires and tuck in!