Making your own pizza sauce using fresh tomatoes can be intimidating but it needn’t be. It’s so quick and easy and tastes so much better than store-bought options which usually have way too much salt and so many preservatives your body just does not need or want.
Give this recipe a go and you will never go back to store-bought again!
250g cherry tomatoes
1 small clove garlic (minced)
Handful of fresh basil
1tsp dried oregano
1tbsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: pizza or pasta for 2
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the tomatoes cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Add the garlic, basil and oregano cook for a further minute.
- Using an immersion blender whizz up the mixture in the saucepan (or transfer to a blender to process then back to the saucepan).
- Add the tomato puree and salt/pepper to taste and cook the liquid for 5-10 minutes over a lower heat to slightly thicken the sauce.
- Ready to use immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.