I always have lentils and beans in my cupboard – it makes it so quick and easy to make a meal from whatever leftover veggies you have in your fridge. I created this recipe when I needed something to do with some leftover tomatoes and cauliflower. I didn’t want to do to the shop but needed to make something for dinner!
This is a super quick and easy meal to make. If you want to take it further and add more veggies to the mix feel free!
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Ginger (thumb sized piece minced)
1 red chilli (thinly sliced)
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
6 tomatoes (chopped)
1 head of cauliflower (chopped into florets)
1 ½ cups of lentils 175g
Coconut milk (400ml can)
2 cups of water 500ml
1.5 cups frozen peas 200g
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lime
Fresh coriander (to serve)
Time: 40 minutes
Serves 4 as a main, 6-8 as a side
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the rest of the spices and cook for another 30 seconds, stirring so the spices coat the onion.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow these to soften.
- Add the cauliflower, lentils, coconut milk and water. Cover the pot with a lid, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye and add extra water as needed.
- Add the frozen peas and allow these to defrost (approx. 3 minutes). Stir in the juice of 1 lime.
- Taste the dhal and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve as a side dish or on a bed of rice as a main.