This is a quick and easy weekday meal when you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen but what something yummy and satisfying.
You could add extra veggies if you wish but sometimes simple is best. I like to use a bean pasta in this dish to amp up the protein content but you can use whatever pasta you like.
You don’t need to add any extra oil to the dish as the tomatoes and pesto contain quite a bit of oil. The pesto adds a lot of flavour meaning you don’t really need any extra seasonings or flavours.
8-10 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 small red onion, sliced
200-250g mushrooms, sliced
½ cup of pesto (approx. 125ml) (I loosely follow this recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-pesto-5-minutes/)
Time: 15 minutes
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and put in the pasta (cook as per instructions on the packaging usually about 10 mins)
- Whilst the pasta cooks: heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add the sundried tomatoes and red onion, the sundried tomatoes should release some of the oil they’ve been soaking in meaning you do not need to add extra. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 7 minutes allowing the mushrooms to release their water, soften and shrink in size.
- Add the pesto to the mushrooms and mix around to coat all the veggies.
- Once the pasta has cooked, drain and add to the frying pan with the mushroom mixture and mix thoroughly so it gets coated evenly with the pesto.
- Plate up, add some vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast if you fancy and enjoy.