This is a super quick and easy, high-protein dish you can eat in so many different ways. Great to use as a vegan alternative to scrambled eggs – especially if you use the black salt which gives the tofu an ‘eggy’ flavour. My partner loves this and now actually chooses to eat this instead of scrambled eggs even though he is not vegan!
Simply stir fry the tofu, add spices and you’re good to go – couldn’t be simpler!
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
1 block firm tofu (396g, drained and slightly pressed)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp black pepper
½ – 1 tsp black salt
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Time: 10 minutes
- Drain your block of tofu and give it a quick press in a clean towel (no need to remove all the liquid), heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Crumble the tofu into the pan when hot.
- Try to leave the tofu for about 3 minutes before stirring and then leave for another few minutes. This allows the tofu to crisp up and become a little firmer.
- Add the garlic, onion, cayenne, cumin, oregano, turmeric and black pepper – give the tofu a good stir to make sure it is all covered in the spice mix. If using the black salt add next and again give the mix a good stir to make sure the salt is spread through the whole pan. Leave to cook for a further minute or 2.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Serve on top of toast, in a wrap or sandwich or eat straight from the pan – I won’t judge!