This is one of my go to meals when I need something quick and easy that doesn’t require much thought but still want something yummy and super satisfying.
There’s no real wrong way to make this dish: you can substitute any of the veggies, leave out the tofu, serve on its own or add noodles or rice. The veggies can really be chopped any way you want and the tofu could be baked in the oven rather than fried on the hob. I like mine a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside so I fry mine in little rectangles in a little oil in a frying pan.
The recipe I have written below is what I have found to be the best mix of textures and flavours. Using a variety of vegetables also means you get lots of different vitamins and minerals. The sauce is a personal favourite (it contains peanut butter, need I say more!)
Each serving has approx. 27g protein, 31g fat and 24.3g carbohydrates.
1 block of firm tofu (approx. 396g) (drained)
1 red chili (thinly sliced)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 head of broccoli (chopped into small florets)
1 pack of mushrooms (200-250g) (sliced)
1 red pepper (sliced)
Baby corn (chopped)
1 pak choi (sliced)
2 carrots (peeled into ribbons)
2 tbsp peanut butter (heaped)
3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp maple syrup
2-4 tbsp water
A little sesame oil for cooking (you can use coconut oil)
Time: 30 minutes
Serves 2-4 (depending on portion sizes and addition of noodles or rice)
- Make the sauce by putting the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and maple syrup in a bowl. Mix it all together until well combined. Add in the water a tbsp at a time to loosen the sauce to a pourable consistency.
- Drain and chop the tofu into small pieces. I chopped the block into 10 shorter slices and then chopped these into 3. Add a little sesame oil to a wide frying pan over a medium heat. Add your tofu squares into the pan and leave alone for 4 minutes. Flip the pieces over and cook for 4 minutes on the other side. Then set aside. While the tofu cooks move onto step 3.
- Chop all the veggies.
- In a wok heat a little sesame oil over a medium/high heat. Add your garlic and chili cooking for just under a minute. Add the broccoli and mushrooms cooking for about 5-7 minutes allowing the mushrooms to release their juices and shrink in size a little. Add the pepper, baby corn and pak choi stirring the veggies to mix. Add the carrot ribbons in bit by bit mixing around so that they don’t all clump together. Cook stirring around for about 3-5 minutes. Making sure the veggies don’t become too soft so you keep a bit of crunch.
- Add the sauce and the tofu and stir it all together.
- Serve up on its own or with your favourite noodles or rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for decoration.